BioOhio is a non-profit organization, founded in 1987, that connects and serves Ohio’s bioscience community to drive success in improving global quality of life by providing member-guided services that include networking, advocacy, events, talent, information, and cost savings. BioOhio represents over 300 members that employ over 100,000 Ohioans – from Ohio’s largest employers to emerging start-ups, schools & universities, research institutions, students, and individuals. BioOhio is the state affiliate for global bioscience associations AdvaMed, BIO, MDMA, and PhRMA.
The Events Coordinator serves as staff specialist to coordinate, plan, and execute BioOhio events, including networking socials, seminars, full day conferences, career fairs, and more. Examples can be found at bioohio.com/events and bioohio.com/events/past. This position will also support BioOhio’s participation and support of other events, i.e. MD&M, Cleveland Clinic Innovation Summit, AdvaMed, BIO, and many more.
One of the key benefits of this position will be that, over time, this person will become exceptionally well acquainted with companies and individuals across Ohio that are engaged in the bioscience industry.
The position’s direct report will be the President & CEO, however, BioOhio operates as an integrated team and this position will engage with all team members.
- Plan. Work with the BioOhio team to develop a strategic plan for event development, promotion, execution, and post-event wrap up activities.
- Lead. This position will be the point person for planning and coordination of BioOhio events around Ohio. This includes arrangements related to venues, catering, speakers, attendee confirmations, event materials, etc. Additionally, this position will be responsible for organizing event focused committees.
- Market. Develop and lead marketing efforts to promote BioOhio events. This includes creation of marketing materials, use of social media, email and phone outreach to potential partners, and engagement with BioOhio contacts (members and non-members) to encourage event attendance and sponsorship.
- Grow. BioOhio is seeking someone to expand and grow the organization’s event catalog by taking the initiative to identify new event opportunities. These new event formats, topics, settings, and other creative approaches will help BioOhio better engage with Ohio’s bioscience community. This includes attending relevant bioscience-related events around Ohio to ensure BioOhio is visible and engaged in the bioscience community.
- Follow-up. After each event this position will reach out to attendees, speakers, sponsors and partners to ensure that all parties were satisfied, and if not, learn how programming can be improved. Additionally, many events attract new contacts and companies, and it is important to follow-up with them to encourage future involvement in events or through joining BioOhio as members.
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum of two years professional experience as an event coordinator or manager.
- Strong customer service skills – experience in business development, customer service, retail, or other people-first environments.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, including Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Experience with marketing through social media platforms, including Twitter, LinkedIn, and Facebook.
- Strong writing and editing, analytical, presentation, and communication skills; experience with project planning, implementation, and evaluation.
- Periodic travel within Ohio will be necessary, including occasional overnight stays.
- Additional technical experience welcome: Salesforce, Hoot Suite, Adobe products (such as Photoshop, Acrobat, InDesign), and WordPress web interfaces.
- Experience working with a membership association or nonprofit is welcome.