Welcome to the June edition of the BioOhio BioBulletin!
In this issue: Membership, BioOhio Events, Ohio Opioid Technology Challenge, Job Openings, Save with Aon, Government Relations, Ohio Bioscience News, Events Calendar, and Support your Local STEM School
Thank you to our members who renewed their support of BioOhio this month: Athersys, AtriCure, Balance, The Biomedical Engineering Society at Ohio State, BioMotiv, Bionix, The Columbus Chamber of Commerce, IBHC Advisors, M-LINE, NextTech Ohio, Nottingham-Spirk, Open Therapeutics, ProteoSense, Renovo Neural, Squire Patton Boggs, Strategic Regulatory Consulting, SYMARK, UPS Healthcare, and individual member Bill Tacon.
BioOhio offers a 5% discount on two-year membership renewals. Thanks to the entire BioOhio member family that continues to support our efforts. Everything we do is driven by member requests. Click here to learn about the many benefits and resources available, whether you are currently a member or are thinking about joining.
Ohio Bioscience Networking Socials, July 23 in Athens and August 28 in Cleveland
BioOhio’s fun socials bring Ohio’s bioscience players together to get to know one another in a casual atmosphere. Register here.
The 2018 Ohio Bioscience Expo, September 25 in Columbus at COSI
Exhibitors and attendees alike will connect with new customers, find new collaborators and partners, meet colleagues in the industry, and discover companies making cutting edge products. Apply to exhibit and register here.
The Women in Bioscience & Healthcare Conference, October 18 in Columbus
Open to men and women alike, join us for an event in partnership with the Healthcare Businesswomen’s Association (HBA Columbus), featuring speakers covering topics that include career paths, mentoring, networking, communication strategies, personal brand development, and success stories. Register here
Ohio Opioid Technology Challenge
With $8 million allocated towards addressing the nation’s devastating struggle with opioid abuse and addiction, Ohio is putting its money where its mouth is. Through a three-phase initiative, the Ohio Opioid Technology Challenge, the innovation and entrepreneurial community is being called upon to apply technology in new and creative ways to advance solutions and address a widespread problem that’s affecting communities across the nation. To be eligible for a $200,000 reward for helping move this important initiative forward, proposals must be submitted by July 11, 2018. Visit our partners at TechOhio for an excellent summary of this exciting initiative.
Abeona Therapeutics – Assay Development – Biologics – Protein Characterization / Immunology, Biostatistician – Clinical Trials Design, Buyer – Biopharmaceuticals, Director of Quality Control – Biologics, Manufacturing Associate – Biologics Manufacturing, QC Associate – Biologics, Quality Assurance Specialist – Supplier / Material Management, Quality Control Associate – Bioassay Testing, and Scientist – Biologics Manufacturing
Details here, and click here to apply.
Neurotechnology Innovations Translator (NIT) – R&D Team, Sr. Director of Clinical Operations, Director of Product Development, Sr. Product Development Engineer, Director of Clinical Science, Director of Quality, Clinical Research Associate, and Finance & Operations
Details here, and send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Quidel – Buyer #1449, Cell Culture Associate #1400, Cell Culture Technician #1448, Clinical Research Associate #1429, Medical Diagnostic Product Support #1426, Product Development Associate #1381, and Production Chemist #1427
Details here, and apply online by entering the Job ID #.
BioOhio members, do you have job openings at your company you would like to post in the BioOhio BioBulletin? Contact Lauren with the job title and how to apply.
BioOhio and Aon have teamed up to bring comprehensive coverage for Executive Liability Insurance programs. Through the BIO Executive Liability Protection Panel, BioOhio members can access competitive pricing utilizing broad Aon-negotiated policy language. The insurers comprising the private and public panel are recognized leaders with a proven record of meeting the needs of life sciences companies. Click here to read about Aon and all our member savings programs.
As the Ohio affiliate of AdvaMed, BIO, MDMA and PhRMA, BioOhio participates in advocacy for issues that matter to our members, our industry and the health and prosperity of Ohio.
- National Legislative Update for June 2018
- July 25: FDA Innovation Challenge Webinar: Devices to Prevent and Treat Opioid Use Disorder, presented by the FDA
- July 31: 2018 MHSRS Webinar for Biosciences, presented by G2G
Ohio Bioscience News
BioOhio.com/News is Ohio’s best source for bioscience-related current events. From local and national sources, stories include member and non-member organizations, STEM education, research discoveries, legislative issues, funding news, and more. The following are just a few stories from this month.
- Aerpio Pharmaceuticals inks deal that could be worth over $400M
- Cincinnati Children’s Hospital & Nationwide Children’s Hospital ranked in top 10 nationally by US News & World Report, full report here
- Athersys expands collaboration with Healios into additional therapeutic areas
- $50M to Alkermes from Biogen after positive data review
- Cardinal Health awards over $3M to Appalachia nonprofits to fight the opioid epidemic
- UC scientist played role in FDA’s approval of first cannabis-derived drug
More stories at BioOhio.com/news: Abeona Therapeutics’ grand opening, Akebia set for a merger, AtriCure growing in China, Battelle awards STEM grants, BioEnterprise is fighting opioid abuse, CARON Products adds talent, CoverMyMeds plans a new HQ, GE Healthcare to become a stand-alone company, Genetesis raises $7.5M, JobsOhio is performing well, Locus Bio-Energy expands to Texas, The Family Gene goes to paperback, VentureMed Group begins study enrollment, Viscus Biologics announces new products, and more!
- July 11 – Women in Healthcare Symposium (Columbus)
- July 11 – Advanced Materials for 3D Printing Conference (Cleveland)
- Jul 12 – Webinar: Global Regulatory Requirements for Chemical Characterization: How to Cost-Effectively Demonstrate Biological Safety
- July 17-18 – Reaching High – Aerospace Business Matchmaker at Ohio University (Athens)
- July 19-22 – Batten Disease Support and Research Association Family Conference (Nashville, TN)
- July 23 – Ohio Bioscience Networking Social (Athens)
- July 24-26 – Symposium on Energy Storage Beyond Lithium Ion XI (Cleveland)
- July 25 – Webinar – FDA Innovation Challenge: Devices to Prevent and Treat Opioid Use Disorder
- July 26 – Webinar: How to Effectively Navigate Radiation Sterilization Validation Scenarios
- July 29-August 2 – 70th AACC Annual Scientific Meeting & Clinical Lab Expo (Chicago, IL)
- July 31 – 2018 MHSRS Webinar for Biosciences, presented by G2G
- August 6-8 – Cancer Stem Cell Conference 2018 (Cleveland)
- August 10 – 2018 HTMA-OH Annual Conference and Expo: “Time for a REBOOT!” (Columbus)
- August 13-16 – Technology Requirements & Innovation Awareness Days (TRIAD)
- August 14 – BIOCENE 2018 (Cleveland)
- August 23-24 – Xavier Health AI Summit 2018 (Cincinnati)
- August 28 – The FDA MedTech Regulatory Forum (Cleveland)
- August 28 – Ohio Bioscience Networking Social (Cleveland)
- Sept 10 – Advanced Biobased Systems Workshop: Pipeline to Commercialization (Columbus)
- Sept 11 – Xavier Health Combination Products Summit 2018 (Cincinnati)
- September 20 – Save the date for the 5th annual ProMedica Innovations Summit (Toledo)
- September 25 – The 2018 Ohio Bioscience Expo (Columbus)
- Sept 26-27 – Life Sciences Baltics International Exhibition 2018 (Lithuania)
- October 18 – Women in Bioscience & Healthcare Conference (Columbus)
- November 14 – Neuroscience Discovery & Alternatives to Opioids (Cincinnati)
- December 5 – Cybersecurity in Medical Devices (Columbus)
Support your Local STEM School
If your organization has gently-used/excess equipment or supplies, please consider donating to a bioscience program at an area STEM school. BioOhio can help find a match with a member school for what you might otherwise discard. Contact Drew at BioOhio for more information.
Contact us anytime we can be of assistance. Thanks for your continued support.
John F. Lewis, Jr., BioOhio, President & CEO
(614) 675-3686 x1262, email@example.com