Welcome to the May edition of the BioOhio BioBulletin!
In this issue: Join us at the BIO Convention, 2018 Ohio Bioscience Growth Report, Membership, BioOhio Events, Job Openings, Save with UPS Shipping, Government Relations, Ohio Bioscience News, Events Calendar. and Support your Local STEM School
Join us at the BIO Convention
BioOhio is a proud Booth Partner of the Ohio Pavilion (#1021) at the BIO International Convention June 4-7 in Boston. Visit us at the Ohio Pavilion to meet key Ohio industry leaders and learn more about the great things going on in our state. Don’t miss these receptions hosted by Ohio organizations:
BioOhio is proud to support and salute the efforts of the bioscience community in Ohio as it impacts lives around the world. Content includes analysis of employment, investment, wages, research funding, expansions, education, and new company growth, with helpful profiles of bioscience companies and comments from industry leaders. We encourage you to download your free copy of the Ohio Bioscience Growth Report today at bioohio.com/ohio, and please share with others that may be interested.
We are proud to announce Peter Kleinhenz, Treasurer and CFO of Myonexus Therapeutics, has been elected as the Chair of our Board of Trustees. Mr. Kleinhenz has been a BioOhio Board Member for 20+ years and is dedicated to the bioscience community in our state.
Thank you to our members who renewed their support of BioOhio this month: Abeona Therapeutics, Applied Biomolecular Technologies, AstraZeneca, BioEnterprise, CfPIE, Hahn Loeser & Parks LLP, Interplex Medical, Jalex Medical, Marsh & McLennan Agency, PMC SMART Solutions, Western Environmental Corporation, Wood, Herron & Evans, LLP, and individual members Tony Dennis and Joan Breslin.
Remember, BioOhio offers a 5% discount on two-year membership renewals. As always, thanks to the entire BioOhio member family that continues to support our efforts. Everything we do is driven by member requests. Click here to learn about the many benefits and resources available, whether you are currently a member or are thinking about joining.
Medical Cannabis in the Buckeye State, June 18 in Cleveland
There is no business segment in the United States that is changing faster than the cannabis industry. Join us June 18 to learn how Ohio is tackling the challenges and opportunities in medical cannabis.
Meet and network with professionals, entrepreneurs, patients, healthcare providers, clinical experts, investors, and so many others engaged in the medical cannabis field.
Medical Cannabis in the Buckeye State will feature:
- A Medical Cannabis Tech Showcase
- Updates on the Legal and Financial Impact of Ohio’s Cannabis Industry and Cultivator, Processor & Dispensary Operations
- Patient & Physician Perspectives on Medical Cannabis
- A fireside chat with the National Cannabis Industry Association of Ohio Executive Director
Ohio Bioscience Networking Socials, July 23 in Athens and August 28 in Cleveland
BioOhio’s fun socials bring Ohio’s bioscience players together for networking, talking shop, and getting to know one another in a casual atmosphere. Complimentary hors d’oeuvres for all guests; 1 drink ticket for BioOhio members, and that includes employees of member organizations. Cash bar for non-members.
Click here to register for these events.
Innovations Combating the Opioid Epidemic, August 2 in Columbus
BioOhio will be hosting an event August 2 in Columbus at the Ohio Farm Bureau 4-H Center on Innovations Combating the Opioid Epidemic. Similar to the Medical Cannabis in the Buckeye State event, there will be a Tech Showcase where organizations have the opportunity to exhibit. If you exhibit at the Innovations Combating the Opioid Epidemic event, you will receive a 50% discount to exhibit at the Ohio Bioscience Expo! Please contact us if you are interested in exhibiting, sponsoring, or getting involved. Registration and full event information will be available soon.
Thank you to our sponsor TSP for their support of this event.
The BioOhio FDA Regulatory Forum, August 28 in Cleveland
BioOhio is once again teaming up with industry experts to bring you a program focused on regulatory issues pertinent to Ohio’s medical products industry. The event will take place at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland.
This year’s event brings some of the medical device industry’s leading experts direct to you. We’ll discuss changing regulations and present actionable recommendations for next steps, along with examining other critical industry trends.
The event will facilitate great industry and professional networking in addition to the valuable content.
The Regulatory Forum is consistently one of our most popular and well attended events. Click here to learn more. Registration and full event information will be available soon. Thank you to our partners Laura Green, LLC and RJR Consulting for their support of this event.
Ohio Bioscience Expo & Showcase, September 25 in Columbus
The 2018 Ohio Bioscience Expo & Showcase will take place 9/25 at COSI in Columbus. Connect with established & start-up bioscience companies, suppliers, and service providers that are moving bioscience technologies from concept to reality. Exhibitors and attendees alike will connect with new customers and partners, meet colleagues in the industry, and discover companies offering cutting edge products and services.
Interested in attending, exhibiting, or sponsoring? Click here!
Neurotechnology Innovations Translator (NIT) – R&D Team, Sr. Director of Clinical Operations, Director of Product Development, Sr. Product Development Engineer, Director of Clinical Science, Director of Quality, Clinical Research Associate, and Finance & Operations
Details here, and send resumes to email@example.com.
Quidel – Product Development Associate (Cell Culture) #1381, Cell Culture Associate #1400, Medical Diagnostic Product Support #1426, Production Chemist #1427, and Clinical Research Associate #1429
Details here, and apply online by entering the Job ID #.
BioOhio members, do you have job openings at your company you would like to post in the BioOhio BioBulletin? Contact Lauren Reitz with the job title and how to apply.
As the Ohio affiliate of AdvaMed, BIO, MDMA and PhRMA, BioOhio participates in advocacy for issues that matter to our members, our industry and the health and prosperity of Ohio.
BioOhio is proud to partner with UPS to offer a best-In-class, cost-savings program for shipping services, and discounts on specific value added healthcare services and solutions to meet the specialized needs of healthcare and life science companies. Click here to read about UPS and all of our member savings programs.
Ohio Bioscience News
BioOhio.com/News is Ohio’s best source for bioscience-related current events. From local and national sources, stories include member and non-member organizations, STEM education, research discoveries, legislative issues, funding news, and more. The following are just a few stories from this month.
- Must read of the month: Heartland High School, an addiction-recovery focused high school to keep young lives on track. More about project lead Sarah Nerad of Alkermes, here, here and a TedX video here.
- Myonexus Therapeutics gets FDA rare disease designation, raises up to $105M, story here and here
- Sinclair College to build three new biology labs in Dayton
- Q Laboratories celebrates ribbon cutting in Cincinnati for their new $10M facility
- Cleveland Clinic plans on-campus biorepository, also launches Center for Therapeutics Discovery
- SafeWhite selling peroxide-free teeth whitener after 8 years of R&D
- Aprecia Pharmaceuticals partners with UK startup on rare diseases
- ProMedica and The University of Toledo open $57M neurosciences center, story and video
Visit BioOhio.com/news for recent stories about Athersys, Beam Dental, BioMotiv/OptiKira, Charles River Laboratories, Cincinnati Children’s Hospital, CleveMed, Community Tissue Services, COSI/Battelle, Dayton Children’s Hospital, Enable Injections, Evenflo, Genetesis, Global Cooling, GOJO, Ischemia Care, Multi Radiance Medical, NAMSA, Nationwide Children’s Hospital, NEOMED, Omega Laboratories, Palarum, PartsSource, PriorAuthNow, Scioto Biosciences, Siloam Biosciences, VentureMed, and more
- June 18 – Medical Cannabis in the Buckeye State (Cleveland)
- July 23 – Ohio Bioscience Networking Social in Athens
- August 2 – Innovations Combating the Opioid Epidemic (Columbus)
- August 28 – The BioOhio FDA Regulatory Forum (Cleveland)
- August 28 – Ohio Bioscience Networking Social in Cleveland
- September 25 – The 2018 Ohio Bioscience Expo (Columbus)
- October 18 – Women in Bioscience Conference (Columbus)
- November 9 – The 2018 Heal Ohio Conference (Akron)
- June 4-7 – BIO International Convention (Boston, MA)
- June 5 – Squire Patton Boggs Networking Reception (Boston, MA)
- June 7 – Women in Healthcare Innovation: Be a catalyst for change (Columbus)
- June 9 – 2018 International Batten Disease Awareness Day
- June 13-14 – International Society for Pediatric Innovation Leadership Conference (Cleveland)
- June 18 – Par For Life 2018, presented by Central Ohio Men Against Prostate Cancer (Columbus)
- June 20 – SBIR Road Tour (Columbus)
- June 23-24 – BRASCON 2018 (Columbus)
- June 26 – Startup Scaleup 2018 (Cleveland)
- July 17-18 – Reaching High – Aerospace Business Matchmaker at Ohio University (Athens)
- July 19-22 – Batten Disease Support and Research Association Family Conference (Nashville, TN)
- July 24-26 – Symposium on Energy Storage Beyond Lithium Ion XI (Cleveland)
- August 6-8 – Cancer Stem Cell Conference 2018 (Cleveland)
- August 23-24 – Xavier Health AI Summit 2018 (Cincinnati)
Support your Local STEM School
If your organization has gently-used/excess equipment or supplies, please consider donating to a bioscience program at an area STEM school. BioOhio can help find a match with a member school for what you might otherwise discard. Contact Drew at BioOhio for more information.
Contact us anytime we can be of assistance. Thanks for your continued support.
John F. Lewis, Jr., BioOhio, President & CEO
(614) 675-3686 x1262, firstname.lastname@example.org