Welcome to the October edition of the BioOhio BioBulletin!
In this issue: Neuroscience Discovery & Alternatives to Opioids, Cybersecurity in Medical Devices, Save with ShareVault, Membership Updates, Job Openings, Ohio Bioscience News, Government Relations, and Community Events
Neuroscience Discovery & Alternatives to Opioids, November 14 in the Greater Cincinnati area at the Newport Aquarium
This conference, held in partnership with Neurotechnology Innovations Translator, Indiana Health Industry Forum, and the Kentucky Life Sciences Council, will highlight innovations in neuroscience research and technologies that are addressing the opioid crisis. This event will also feature the Alternatives to Opioids Tech Showcase. Do you have a technology that addresses the opioid crisis, is an opioid alternative, helps connect individuals to needed resources, etc? Apply to exhibit at the Alternatives to Opioids Tech Showcase.
Cybersecurity in Medical Devices, December 5 in Columbus
This IoMT (Internet of Medical Things) event will feature medical device and diagnostics professionals discussing their challenges and opportunities with networked medical device design, governance, risk management, and more. Learn more here.
Through the BIO Business Solutions program, BioOhio has aligned with ShareVault to offer secure, cloud-based document sharing solutions, also known as virtual data rooms, that are frequently used by organizations of all types to securely share highly confidential documents with outside parties. In contrast to consumer-grade file sharing services, ShareVault allows organizations to easily share documents with third parties, while monitoring access and maintaining control. Click here to read about ShareVault and all our member savings programs.
We are pleased to welcome Clarus R+D, Gnome Diagnostics, National Organization of Rare Disorders’ Rare Action Network, North Central State College Bioscience Program, and student members Gregory Buchan, Julia Ryan, and Lee Honig as new BioOhio members.
Thank you to our members who renewed their support of BioOhio this month: Amgen, Aprecia Pharmaceuticals Company, Braintree Business Development Center, Cleveland HeartLab (a Quest Diagnostics Company), Drug Discovery News, Enable Injections, Gleeson Laboratory Services, Intertek, Lab-Ally, P2D Bioscience, and Wright Brothers Global Gas.
Everything we do is driven by member requests. Thank you to the entire BioOhio member family that continues to support our efforts. Click here to learn about the many benefits and resources available, whether you are currently a member or are thinking about joining. For existing members, 2-year renewals receive a 5% discount.
Abeona Therapeutics – Biostatistician – Clinical Trials Design, Inventory Coordinator – Biopharmaceutical Manufacturing, Manufacturing Associate – Biologics Manufacturing, Research Associate – AAV Process Development, Scientist – Biologics Manufacturing, Research Associate – Product Development, Senior Validation Engineer, and Quality Control Associate – Biopharmaceuticals. Details here.
Batten Disease Support and Research Association – Executive Director. Details here.
Kaleidoscope – Director, Design. Details here.
Neurotechnology Innovations Translator (NIT) – R&D Team, Sr. Director of Clinical Operations, Director of Product Development, Sr. Product Development Engineer, Director of Clinical Science, and Clinical Research Associate. Details here, send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sollis Therapeutics – Clinical Sciences Director, Clinical Research Associate, and Executive Administrative Support / Office Manager. Details here.
BioOhio members, do you have job openings at your company you would like to post in the BioOhio BioBulletin? Contact Lauren with the job title and how to apply.
Ohio Bioscience News
BioOhio.com/News is Ohio’s best source for bioscience-related current events. From local and national sources, stories include member and non-member organizations, STEM education, research discoveries, legislative issues, funding news, and more. The following are just a few stories from this month.
Student-led group micrOhio is campaigning to create an official State of Ohio Microbe. The team is nominating candidate microbes for you to get to know, and vote for your favorite during the week of 11/5. The winner will be submitted to the State for consideration. Visit our blog for details!
- SafeWhite’s HaloSmile crowd funding campaign surpasses its initial goal on day 1! Click here to learn more!
- Enable Injections announces up to $50M for an innovative drug-delivery device!
- Sarepta Therapeutics plans Columbus site, hiring up to 100, also new licensing with Nationwide Children’s
- Athersys debuts video documentary on biotech disruptors in Cleveland
- Sollis Therapeutics develops non-opioid therapy for sciatica pain
- Ohio launches the Ohio Innovation Exchange website to connect university experts & business leaders
- Photos from the grand opening of University of Cincinnati’s 1819 Innovation Hub
- Case Western Reserve University scientists develop new method to generate brain stem cells
- 2018 bioscience-related private investment at $549M to date
More stories at BioOhio.com/news featuring: AtriCure, Battelle, Cleveland Clinic Innovations, Google, Great Lakes NeuroTechnologies, Green Growth Brands, Kaleidoscope, Locus Bio-Energy Solutions, Medical Service Co., MediQuant, Nationwide Children’s Hospital, NEOMED, The Ohio State University, OnShift, Plug and Play Cleveland, Scotts Miracle-Gro, Sermonix, Sotera Medical, SPR Therapeutics, Standard Bariatrics, Two Labs, and Updox.
As the Ohio affiliate of AdvaMed, BIO, MDMA and PhRMA, BioOhio participates in advocacy for issues that matter to our members, our industry and the health and prosperity of Ohio.
On 10/24, the Substance Use Disorder Prevention that Promotes Opioid Recovery and Treatment for Patients and Communities (SUPPORT) Act was signed into law. This comprehensive, bipartisan legislation addresses opioid-related treatment, prevention, recovery, and enforcement. The legislation has a large focus on treatment, creating a grant program for recovery centers that includes housing and job training, increases access to medication-assisted treatment, and allows broader coverage for substance abuse treatment under Medicaid and Medicare. Read more: see the full legislation, statement from the FDA, editorial from the American Medical Association.
MDMA’s 21st Coverage, Reimbursement and Health Policy Conference is being held in Washington, DC on November 7-8, 2018. MDMA has assembled a dynamic group of speakers and informative sessions for this year’s conference that will share the latest approaches on how to demonstrate value for your medical technologies and what type of clinical data will ensure you secure fair and adequate reimbursement. BioOhio members receive a $100 discount. Contact Lauren for the discount code.
- Oct 29-30 – 2018 MichBio Expo (Ann Arbor, MI)
- Oct 29-30 – BARDA Industry Day 2018: Driving Innovation (Washington, DC)
- Oct 30-Nov 1 – 20th Annual U.S. Department of Health & Human Services SBIR/STTR Conference (Dallas, TX)
- Oct 31-Nov 1 – MD&M Minneapolis (Minneapolis, MN)
- Nov 1 – BioScience & Beer Networking Event (Cleveland)
- Nov 2 – Squire Patton Boggs Venture Law Meetup – Donuts and Coffee Series: Employment Law Basics (Cleveland)
- Nov 6 – NAMSA Webinar: IVD Clinical Trials – Essential Components for Product Launch in 2019 & Beyond
- Nov 7 – Intelligence Without Ethics? Holding On To Our Values and Ourselves in the Digital Society, presented by The Ohio State University (Columbus)
- Nov 7-8 – MDMA 21st Coverage, Reimbursement & Health Policy Conference (Washington, DC) BioOhio members are eligible for a $100 discount
- Nov 8 – Skoda Minotti CPE Day (Cleveland)
- Nov 8 – Medical 3-D Manufacturing Showcase (Youngstown)
- Nov 13 – 2018 CincyTech Big Breakfast + Startup Showcase (Cincinnati)
- Nov 14 – Neuroscience Discovery & Alternatives to Opioids (Greater Cincinnati)
- Nov 14 – Ohio Bioscience Networking Social (Greater Cincinnati)
- Nov 15 – Best Practices for Gender Equity: A World Café Event (Columbus)
- Nov 15 – Webinar: Use Ohio TechNet’s Consortium to Build your Talent Pipeline
- Nov 27 – R&Q Webinar: Economic Operators
- Dec 5 – Cybersecurity in Medical Devices (Columbus)
Contact us anytime we can be of assistance. Thanks for your continued support.
John, Jen, Drew, Lauren, Scott, and Olivia