Stuart’s Opera House, 52 Public Square, Nelsonville, OH 45764
On Friday, April 6, BioOhio held an engaging half-day event to learn about the groundbreaking diabetes research being conducted in Ohio.
The event featured speakers from 360 Comprehensive Lifestyle Center, the American Diabetes Association, the Ohio Department of Health, Ohio University Diabetes Institute and College of Osteopathic Medicine, The Ohio State University, and The College Diabetes Network.
The venue, Stuart’s Opera House in Nelsonville, was originally built in 1879, and is the grand cornerstone in the town’s historic public square. Attendees will experience this unique venue as breakfast and a networking lunch move around this unique facility.
8:00 am – Registration, Networking Breakfast
8:30 – Introduction & Opening Remarks from John F. Lewis, Jr., President & CEO, BioOhio
8:45 – The Landscape of Diabetes: A National and State Perspective
- Hear an insightful presentation on the state of diabetes from Gary Dougherty, Director, State Government Affairs and Advocacy, American Diabetes Association.
9:00 – 2018 Ohio Diabetes Report Overview
- Holly Sobotka, MS, Chronic Disease Epidemiology and Evaluation Manager at the Ohio Department of Health will present a summary of the agency’s newly released report on diabetes research in Ohio.
9:45 – Break
10:00 – Patient Experience Panel
- Hear stories from inspiring patients as they discuss the real-world impact of the bioscience industry.
- Moderated by Scott Clay, Meeting and Event Planner, BioOhio
- Kristin Kerwin, BSS, RN, Pathways Coordinator, Family Navigator Program, Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine, Community Health programs
- Charles Riley, Program Assistant, The College Diabetes Network
10:30 – Innovations that Impact Lives, the Future of Diabetes
- An insightful discussion on the future of diabetes care from experts in the field.
- Moderated by John F. Lewis, Jr., President & CEO, BioOhio
- Darlene Berryman, PhD, RD, LD, Associate Dean for Research and Innovation | Executive Director, Diabetes Institute | Professor, Nutrition, Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine, Ohio University
- Jane Cases, MD, Chief Medical Officer, Wellness 360 Comprehensive Lifestyle Center
- Willa Hsueh, MD, Professor of Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism, Director, Diabetes and Metabolism Research Center, The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center
11:45 – 1 pm – Networking Lunch