Medical Cannabis and Hemp in the Buckeye State
On September 16 in Columbus, BioOhio facilitated two events: the Ohio Medical Cannabis Update – Pharma Grade and the Ohio Hemp Regulatory Forum – Wellness Market & Industrial.
This was not your typical event, because of the two separate industries (medical cannabis and hemp), controlled by different regulatory bodies. BioOhio hosted the top executives from the governor’s cabinet in-person. This is the only cannabis and hemp forum to have these regulators speak to these two industries in person.
Medical Cannabis Background: The Ohio Medical Marijuana, Cannabis market is now functioning statewide. This is a “controlled substance”, which is generally a drug or chemical whose manufacture, possession, or use is regulated by a government, in this case Ohio.
Hemp Background: The US Congress passed the 2018 Farm Bill and made it legal for farmers to grow industrial hemp for the first time since the passage of the 1970 Controlled Substances Act (or, practically speaking, since the 1937 Marijuana Tax Act). Ohio Governor Mike DeWine signed Senate Bill 57 into Ohio law on July 30, 2019, which allows farmers to grow industrial hemp and stores to sell products with its ingredient, known as CBD.
BioOhio and our guests were joined by representatives from Governor DeWine’s Cabinet, including chief regulators from the:
- Ohio Department of Commerce
- Ohio Board of Pharmacy
- Ohio Medical Board
- Ohio Department of Public Safety
- Ohio Department of Agriculture
- And Business Leaders in the State
Meet, network, and engage with medical cannabis industry professionals in the morning and hemp experts in the afternoon. Join researchers, clinical experts, investors, healthcare providers, cultivators, processors, dispensaries, patients, job seekers, entrepreneurs, new technology providers, advocacy groups, ancillary business owners, those new to the cannabis or hemp industry, and so many others on September 16 at this one-of-a-kind event.
Date & Time
September 16, 2019
8:30am – 4:00pm
Ohio Medical Cannabis Update
8:30 am – Registration & Networking
9:00 am – Introduction & Opening Remarks by John F. Lewis Jr., President & CEO, BioOhio
9:15 am – Medical Marijuana Program, Market Update, and Q&A Session
The morning discussion will focus on goals, challenges, and accomplishments of the medical marijuana market in Ohio as well as new laws and rules being considered moving forward in the state.
- 9:15 am: Greg McIlvaine, Senior Policy Advisor, Ohio Department of Commerce
- 10 am: Steven Schierholt, Esq, Executive Director, State of Ohio Board of Pharmacy
- 10:45 am: A.J. Groeber, MBA, Executive Director, State Medical Board of Ohio
- 11:30 am – Mark Nye, Director of Compliance, Medical Marijuana Control Program, Ohio Department of Commerce
12:15 pm – Lunch & Networking
Ohio Hemp Regulatory Forum
12 pm – Lunch, Registration, and Networking
1:00 pm – Introduction & Opening Remarks by John F. Lewis Jr., President & CEO, BioOhio
1:15 pm – Hemp Industry and Regulatory Discussion
The afternoon discussion will focus on the economic, social, consumer, and healthcare impacts in Ohio and what regulatory discussions need to take place around Hemp since Governor DeWine signed the legislation into law effective 7/30/19.
Presentations from the Ohio Department of Agriculture
- Terri Gerhardt, Food Safety Division, ODA
- David Miran, Executive Director, Hemp, ODA
- Dorothy Pelanda, Director, ODA
- Moderated by Robert Kovey, Partner, Credo Company
Ohio Department of Public Safety Presentation
- Major Gary Allen, Highway Patrol Officer, Department of Safety, Ohio Highway Patrol
2:45 pm – BioOhio Panel Discussion
Learn from industry experts involved in the hemp market in Ohio.
- Jack Irvin, Senior Director, State and National Policy, Ohio Farm Bureau Federation
- Dr. Anthony Macherone, Sr. Scientist & Strategic Program Manager, Agilent Technologies | Faculty, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- Dave Swart, President & CEO, DigiCare | DigiFarm
- Moderated by John F. Lewis Jr., President & CEO, BioOhio
3:45 – Closing Remarks