Women in Bioscience & Healthcare Conference
The Women in Bioscience & Healthcare Conference - October 18 in Columbus
BioOhio and our partners at the HBA Columbus Chapter are grateful for everyone involved in The Women in Bioscience & Healthcare Conference. Our primary goal was to celebrate the women in our industry, and discuss the future as we move towards equity in the workplace.
We believe that our diverse and dynamic group of speakers provided in-depth insights about the current roles of women in bio, and a glimpse into their professional journeys by sharing inspiring, personal experiences. Whether it was discussion of paths taken into and out of science, creative opportunities to further scientific research, or how to get girls inspired and involved early in science, all of the panels were extremely valuable. Thank you to all of our attendees for their participation in these discussions.
Visit this link to sign up for our newsletter to be among the first to hear about event updates.
9:00 am – Registration, Breakfast, and Networking
10:10 – Welcome Video from Congresswoman Beatty
10:15 – Networking Icebreaker
10:30 – Navigating Your Career: From Science or To Science
Speakers will discuss paths that they have taken, into and out of scientific roles, and the impact these moves have had on their lives.
- Moderated by Rozy Park, Director, Culture, HR, and Legal Affairs, Tedia Company
- Erica Conroy, PhD, VP, Product Development & Customer Success, Pharma, CoverMyMeds
- Cris LeBlanc, Community & Corporate Relations, Xavier University
- Tracey Papenfuss, DVM, MS, PhD, DACVP, Principal Pathologist, Immunotoxicology Scientific Advisor, Charles River
11:15 – Break
11:30 – Expanding Research and Your Career
Speakers will discuss ways they have leveraged their community, colleagues, and creative opportunities to further scientific research, and bolster their careers.
- Jaime Fensterl, MS, MBA, Associate Director, Program Management, Abeona Therapeutics
- Suguna Rachakonda, PhD, MBA, Senior Director, Product Development & Strategic Partnerships, Cleveland Clinic
- Louise Rodino-Klapac, PhD, VP, Gene Therapy, Sarepta Therapeutics, Chief Scientific Officer, Myonexus Therapeutics
12:15 pm – Lunch
1:00 – Harnessing Ideas in Healthcare & Research
Speakers will discuss how disruptive ideas from within the healthcare and research environments are transformed into marketable products and innovative techniques.
- John Barnard, MD, President, The Research Institute at Nationwide Children’s Hospital
- Alice T Epitropoulos, MD, FACS, Ophthalmic Surgeons & Consultants of Ohio, The Eye Center of Columbus, Clinical Assistant Professor, The Ohio State University
- Susan E. Sherman, MHA, Chief Executive Officer, The LAM Foundation
- David Taffany, PhD, Product Manager, Fuse by Cardinal Health
2:00 – Networking Break
2:15 – Keynote Session – Painted Barriers: Redefining a Scientist
3:15 – STEAM Empowered: Getting Girls Involved Early in Science
Science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) courses equip students with concepts that prepare them to confront the challenges of today’s world, such as medical emergencies, food shortages, and critical demand for sustainable energy sources. Many schools are incorporating healthcare disciplines into this valuable curriculum. STEAM, STEMM, STEM+M, and STREAM are programs that bring aspects of the medical field into the classroom.
4:00 – Closing Remarks
4:15 – Networking Reception
Visit our Past Events section to see agendas from past workshops and conferences. Links are provided below.
Visit these pages to read a summary of our Women in Bioscience events
2016 Women in Bioscience Conference – by Carrie Ghose,
2016 Women in Bioscience Workshop – Northeast Ohio – BioOhio event rewind blog post
2016 Women in Bioscience Workshop – Southwest Ohio – BioOhio event rewind blog post