AT ATHERSYS: Our people make the difference. We owe our success to the passionate, driven and growth-oriented people who have chosen to align their careers with our mission, “Committed to developing therapies to extend and enhance the quality of human life.”
WE ARE SEEKING: An Associate Scientist to join our team. The Associate Scientist will work with a high performing, cross-functional team with a goal of developing scalable processes related to the manufacture of therapeutic cells. The Associate Scientist will identify requirements and source equipment, design and execute experiments and develop metrics for evaluating technologies. The Associate Scientist will be responsible for acquiring, analyzing, and communicating experimental data in cross-functional fashion throughout the business. This position will report to the Process Development lead.
- Independently plan and execute bioprocess cell culture experiments that relate to the development, optimization, and manufacture of cell therapy product.
- Quantitatively analyze and interpret experimental data to determine how process changes impact process performance and establish optimal parameters for cGMP manufacturing.
- Compile data for technical reports and presentations to communicate findings accurately and succinctly within process development and in cross-functional groups to facilitate process decisions and identify process improvements.
- Identify cell therapy equipment and determine the design and specifications for current and future cell therapy processes. Install, maintain, and troubleshoot laboratory equipment and instruments through close interactions with vendors.
- Oversee junior lab members to coordinate day-to-day lab operations.
- Develop process flow diagrams, bill of materials, list of equipment, and cost of goods calculations to support tech transfer activities.
- Maintain accurate and up to date lab records through appropriate lab notebook recordings and batch records.
- Writing and revising technical documents including SOPs, test protocols, and final reports to support CMC regulatory documentation.
- Degree in Biological sciences or other science related major required: Biomedical Engineering, Cell Biology, Physics, Biochemical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering.
- Ph.D. or comparable with 0-2 years of post-graduate experience preferred.
- In exceptional cases, a MS degree plus 4+ or related discipline or BS degree plus 6+ years of hands-on experience with design and execution of cell culture or bioprocess experiments.
- Strong aseptic cell culture technique is required.
- Familiarity with scalable bioproduction concepts for upstream and downstream unit operations. Knowledge of bioreactors, microcarriers and/or adult stem cells is a strong plus.
- Exceptional attention to detail, critical thinking and trouble shooting skills with the ability to make experimental decisions on the floor when required.
- Apply strong working knowledge of quantitative data analysis and statistics to critically analyze experimental data for identification of process improvements and scalability.
- Energetic, motivated, positive individuals who can work effectively both independently and within a team setting.
- Ability to achieve deadlines in a fast-paced work environment and adapt to changing priorities, when required.
- Strong written and oral communication skills with demonstrated ability to turn data and results into polished reports and presentations.
Athersys is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered for all positions without regard to age, race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by applicable law.