Cleveland Clinic Innovations (CCI), the commercialization arm of Cleveland Clinic, grew out of the organization’s deep-rooted commitment to ‘Patients First’ and our renowned innovative culture. Focusing on domain portfolios – life science, medical device, delivery solutions and health information technology – and leveraging an enterprise passion for medical advancement, CCI drives patient-centered solutions to market. CCI uses a unique approach to assess, protect, build, test and market the most promising ideas of our 70K+ caregivers. The office has transacted and obtained a wealth of technology licenses, issued patents, and new commercial products. Cleveland Clinic Innovations recruits with diversity in mind to gather entrepreneurial individuals from varied cultures, backgrounds, and personal and professional life experiences. Team members need only a passion for healthcare innovation and desire to challenge the status quo. Interested in joining our cast of healthcare revolutionaries? The Managing Director for Technology Commercialization oversees programs to commercialize Cleveland Clinic technologies.
For more information, please visit: https://innovations.clevelandclinic.org/
- The Managing Director Innovations Commercialization oversees the programs to sell, license, and/or form new companies to advance Cleveland Clinic innovations.
- Direct oversight of the Sales, Licensing, and New Companies teams.
- Interfaces with inventors in supporting technology commercialization.
- Support the SBIR/New Companies process.
- Support the development of external partnerships to generate resources to support the technology commercialization.
- Interface with venture capital to generate resources to support technology commercialization.
- Manage technology commercialization funds. Identifies new funding sources.
- Establish new companies and tracks performance metrics to show advancement in ROI. Selects new company boards and leadership teams.
- Support the Entrepreneur-in-Residence program.
- Oversee incubator space in the GCIC.
- In compliance with the mission and goals of Cleveland Clinic, provides leadership for setting and executing strategic direction in alignment with the enterprise.
- Assure that regulatory requirements are met in all areas of operation.
- Responsible for developing budgets and financial management reporting mechanisms.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in life or physical sciences, biomedical engineering, finance, business or related field.
- An advanced degree in life sciences (MD or PhD) is preferred. This may be offset my significant experience working for a large academic medical institution.
- An advanced degree in business administration and/or legal (JD, MBA, or JD, MBA) is preferred.
- None required
Complexity of Work:
- Must have the ability to communicate effectively with academic and corporate sectors and comprehend details of new and diverse technologies.
- Must be a self-starter with strong work ethics and excellent marketing and negotiation skills.
- Must have demonstrated comfort with multi-tasking and the ability to meet deadlines.
- A minimum 10 years of relevant experience in health care industry (medical devices, therapeutics, diagnostics, HIT) required.
- Minimum 10 years of demonstrated success leading teams and others required.
- Manual dexterity to operate office equipment.
- May require periods of sitting, standing and the ability to walk to various locations throughout the health system to attend meetings.
- Must have normal or corrected vision and be able to clearly communicate verbally by phone or in person.
Personal Protective Equipment:
- Follows Standard Precautions using personal protective equipment as required for procedures.