As a leading provider of innovative technologies for the treatment of Atrial Fibrillation (Afib) and related conditions, electrophysiologists and cardiothoracic surgeons around the globe count on AtriCure to deliver best-in-class solutions that can treat even the most complex cases. Our Isolator® Synergy™ Ablation System is the first and only medical device approved by the FDA for the treatment of long-standing persistent Afib, our AtriClip Left Atrial Appendage (LAA) Exclusion System products are the most widely used LAA management devices worldwide, and we are expanding into pain management therapies. We invest in innovation, clinical science, and education to focus on improving lives for our patients’ worldwide.
This position will contribute to the company's success through the research, design, and development of capital equipment. Additionally, they will provide technical expertise as a member of an agile, multidisciplinary team of Scientists, Engineers, and Model Makers. The individual will work on capital equipment projects to design, build, and test capital equipment that is used by cardiac surgeons and electrophysiologists. This position contributes in a collaborative way with management, project teams, production associates, external vendors and other work groups to achieve the company’s goals of producing market-lead products through positive patient outcomes. The Principal Electrical Engineer may work independently on projects with broad scope or be a team member on an R&D project.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION:
- Provide engineering support for capital equipment to the Design/Development Engineering, Manufacturing, and Operations departments as required.
- Assists and directs Investigations, CAPA’s, and other activities involved in the identification and resolution of issues for capital equipment.
- Plans and conduct hands-on experimental work (bench, in vitro and in vivo) to evaluate device prototypes and investigations.
- Collaborate with Product Development teams to transition projects/concepts into devices/equipment for market.
- Understands and complies with regulatory requirements, domestic and international standards and other internal and external quality requirements; acts as a mentor to other to help interpret these standards as they apply to design of capital equipment.
- Define requirements and implement a platform for developing and evaluating novel ablation algorithms.
- Lead efforts to identify and optimize novel RF ablation algorithms using rapidly modifiable software, such as LabView
- Lead initiatives to identify new business opportunities, develop novel clinical applications, and procedures and invent disruptive technologies for capital equipment.
- Performs the function of an internal technical consultant to upper management, R&D teams, Operations, Regulatory, Sustaining Engineers, Quality Engineers and Manufacturing Engineers.
- Coordinates relationships with outside consultants and labs to assist the Company in problem solutions and expanding our internal knowledge base.
- Develop Test Plans, Test Specifications and Test procedures for system integration, system testing and acceptance testing in order to satisfy product development requirements through verification and validation (V&V)
- Identifies areas in which product and process improvements could positively influence product reliability and manufacturing efficiencies.
ADDITIONAL ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION:
- Regular and predictable worksite attendance
- Ability to work under fast-paced conditions
- Ability to make decisions and use good judgment
- Ability to prioritize various duties and multitask as required
- Ability to successfully work with others
- Additional duties as assigned
- BSEE + 15 years of experience, or MSEE/PhD + 10 years of experience in electrical engineering
- Experience in developing analog and digital designs and prototypes
- Experience with embedded C, C, LabView or similar software languages
- Demonstrated initiative to solve complex technical problems
- Strong track record of innovation
- Be comfortable collaborating with clinicians to identify unmet needs and solutions
- Track record of successful product development working in cross-functional project teams
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to travel 20%
- Medical device design experience
- Prior experience developing RF ablation devices and/or catheters
- Prior experience developing RF Generators
- Ability to regularly walk, sit, or stand as required
- Ability to occasionally bend and push/pull
- Ability to regularly lift up to 25 pounds, occasionally lift up to 50 pounds
- Ability to pass pre-employment drug screen and background check