SUMMARY: Provide analytical mass spectrometry support to internal and external customers, especially structural identification and elucidation utilizing LC/MS and GC/MS. Develop and maintain high resolution accurate mass capabilities in the Analytical Services lab. Act as a subject matter expert in mass spectrometry.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Include the following; other duties may be assigned.
- Generate study proposals and protocols and effectively scheduling studies
- Maintain appropriate communication with clients throughout study execution
- Prepare reports for distribution to clients within agreed timeframes
- Prepare samples and standards for analysis utilizing a variety of sample preparation techniques
- Analyze samples utilizing appropriate analytical techniques, especially LC/MS and GC/MS
- Fully and properly document all laboratory work according to applicable regulatory requirements
- Peer review laboratory notebooks and reports as prepared by other lab staff
- Assist in developing junior staff members and with other teams within the Smithers Group
- Maintenance and qualification of mass spectrometers in the lab
- Miscellaneous laboratory duties such as inventory, equipment calibration, housekeeping
- Assist in identifying and marketing new business opportunities
- Prepare and deliver presentations at external conferences and symposia
- Prepare white papers and articles for publication
- Keep abreast of current scientific advancements relevant to the business
- Travel, potentially international, up to 10% of the time
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
COMPETENCIES: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Proficiency in the use and maintenance of LC/MS and GC/MS instrumentation
- Proficiency in the preparation of samples for trace analysis in complex matrices
- Proficiency in general analytical laboratory skills
- Ability to execute in-depth studies with minimal supervision
- Ability to work directly with customers throughout the life of a study
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Extensive knowledge of small molecule structure elucidation
- Experience working in a GMP laboratory environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience with relevant software platforms (Unifi, MassLynx, TraceFinder, Excalibur, Chromeleon, etc)
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum of a BS in Chemistry with at least 10 years of relevant experience
- Advanced degree in Chemistry with at least 5 years of relevant experience
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read, analyze technical procedures and data. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from clients, supervisors, and department personnel.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Strong math skills as required to quantitatively evaluate analytical data. Knowledge of basic statistical analysis.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
COMPUTER SKILLS: To perform this job successfully, an individual should be proficient in Microsoft Office applications, word, excel, outlook, etc. Able to utilize internet as a research tool for industry related Sales/Marketing purposes.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee will be exposed to all conditions of a normal office environment, however, may be occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts and fumes or airborne particles. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.