Directs efforts to develop promising, complex, high risk/reward Cleveland Clinic innovations and advances them toward commercialization. Partners with Engagement and Assessment Teams on the front end and with the Commercialization Teams on the back end of the Innovations Process to move innovative medical inventions to the market. Cleveland Clinic Innovations (CCI), the commercialization arm of Cleveland Clinic, grew out of the organization’s deep-rooted commitment to ‘Patients First’ and our renowned innovative culture. Focusing on domain portfolios – life science, medical device, delivery solutions and health information technology – and leveraging an enterprise passion for medical advancement, CCI drives patient-centered solutions to market. CCI uses a unique approach to assess, protect, build, test and market the most promising ideas of our 70K+ caregivers. The office has transacted and obtained a wealth of technology licenses, issued patents, and new commercial products. Cleveland Clinic Innovations recruits with diversity in mind to gather entrepreneurial individuals from varied cultures, backgrounds, and personal and professional life experiences. Team members need only a passion for healthcare innovation and desire to challenge the status quo. Interested in joining our cast of healthcare revolutionaries?
For more information, please visit: https://innovations.clevelandclinic.org/
- Leads various complex product development efforts within Cleveland Clinic Innovation Development programs, , specifically, therapeutics, diagnostics, devices, health IT, and other technologies with high risk/reward potential.
- Develops features of core invention that leads to commercial application and meaningful financial opportunity.
- May direct the efforts of Innovations Development Directors and Associate Innovations Development Directors in support of the process above.
- Develops the product road-map to achieve organizationally appropriate and relevant commercialization strategies.
- Provides project management expertise and guidance to accomplish targeted development schedules and milestones.
- Identifies and engages technology development, preclinical, and clinical resources as appropriate to implement design, development and testing objectives.
- Facilitates securing necessary funding from both internal and external sources to execute the plan.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A Master’s degree or higher in a relevant engineering, scientific or related field.
- Additional graduate business education (MBA) is highly desirable.
- None required
Complexity of Work:
- Highly skilled in management of cross-disciplinary project teams.
- An effective collaborator, project manager, and communicator who has demonstrated ability to work with senior level researchers, thought-leader physicians, contract R&D organizations and industry partners.
- Minimum of 7 years of industry experience in designing or developing biomedical products is required.
- Offset: Bachelor’s degree and 10 years of industry experience in designing or developing biomedical products.
- Demonstrated track record of successfully commercializing innovative medical products.
- Knowledge of cardiovascular, neurological, pulmonary, or other clinical applications where device products are commonly used.
- Experience in identifying, qualifying and managing design and development service providers.
- Knowledge of preclinical, clinical, and regulatory product testing and validation requirements.
- Familiarity with intellectual property principles, market opportunity assessment, competitive analysis, and product payment/reimbursement methodologies.
- Transactional experience in licensing or financing medical technologies helpful.
- Requires extensive sitting and dexterity to perform work on a PC, and the ability to walk to parts of various hospital campuses to attend meetings.
- Must have normal or corrected vision, and the ability to verbally communicate to upper level management.
- Occasional lifting of 5 to 15 pounds.
Personal Protective Equipment:
- Follows standard procedures regarding the use of Personal Protective Equipment.